Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Only God Knows Why

About a month ago, while making the nine hour trek to Oklahoma for my cousin's wedding, I started (and finished) a book titled, "Only God Knows Why." I was absolutely blown away by this book--I still don't understand how the author had me laughing and crying on the same page...and this happened more than once.  

The book is a memoir written about a mom's postpartum depression, the unimaginable loss of a child to SIDS, and her bumpy relationship with God. Amy Lyon (the author) writes of these things with such complete honesty--I still get the chills thinking about the things she went through and the gut-wrenching feelings she describes.


As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Dad and Grandma recommended I read this book. Amy Lyon, you see, is the wife of my dad's cousin, Chad. I was sure that this relation made my Dad and Grandma biased in their opinions of this book, and that it couldn't really be that good. But, thanks to a long car ride with not much else to do, I read it. And I couldn't put it down. It really is that good.

When I was about three-quarters of the way through it, though, it hit me. I am related to this precious baby--baby Isabelle--who died so suddenly, so sadly. It took my breath away. No, I have never met baby Isabelle, I don't even recall ever meeting her father (my dad's cousin). But, a part of my blood is hers. She is as closely related to my dad as I am to all of the babies that I have been posting pictures (up the wazoo) of on this blog (Kennedy, Quinn, Matthew, and Claire). I cannot imagine that feeling of loss.

Although you might be thinking otherwise, my opinion is not biased--I promise you, dear reader, this a must-read.
For all you Kindlers out there, e-versions of this book are available. I, personally, have not jumped over to the e-side of things, but my parents, aunt, and grandma have all read this via tablet (in fact, my mom, aunt, and I were all separately reading this book while road tripping together--and reaching for tissues the entire way).

No comments:

Post a Comment