Thursday, June 6, 2013

ROAD TRIP!



Two months ago (yes, I know this is a little late), I went on a road trip with my bff, Natalie, and her little sister, Alyssa. Alyssa was accepted to grad school in Greenville, North Carolina, so I jumped at the chance to tag along on their apartment-hunting adventure (I’d take any excuse to enjoy a week off from work). So, on Friday, April 19th at 9:00 PM, we hit the road and started our 20 hour journey east. I took the worst driving shift imaginable (from 12 AM to 4 AM) and was so grateful when I finally handed the keys off to Natalie. Natalie, however, has claimed she has “special eyes” ever since her lasik eye surgery (which was a month earlier). So, after 45 minutes of driving and many complaints about her “special eyes,” she handed the keys off to Alyssa and went back to her peaceful night of sleep. Typical! 
My outfit of choice for our trip of road.
Anyway, after our drive through Illinois, Indiana, a pit-stop in Ohio (to have breakfast with Alyssa’s college roomie), and several more hours of driving through West Virgina and Virgina (which were both so pretty!), we finally made it to our hotel—the Super 8.
Not sure what state this is--but it's gorgeous!
As we pulled into our gem of a hotel, we were greeted by a very large group of men standing around the parking lot who, we all agreed, appeared to be preparing for some big drug deal. So, while scared for our lives, we sat in the car for several minutes and contemplated our options: 1) stay at the Super 8 and hope we don’t end up on one of Dateline’s missing persons episodes, or 2) consider spending more than $50 a night on a different hotel.

We picked option two. Thank god.

Our time in Greenville was spent eating, drinking, shopping, and apartment searching. Sadly, Greenville is not near a beach and the weather was quite cold the entire time we were there. BUT LUCKILY, after three nights in Greenville, Natalie and I (Alyssa had to fly back home for school) were on our way to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina!
Alyssa and Natalie.
Our nicer than ever bartender who told us where all the best shopping was.
After a three hour drive, we were finally there, and boy were we thirsty! We started our night with dinner on the pier and the night continued as we sipped a drink in just about every bar we walked by.
The view from our hotel room.
Natalie's first taste of "shark bites" ...we are still unclear of the true origin of this meal.
The beginning of our nightly stroll/bar hop.
The first take wasn't good enough...
The next day, it was FINALLY warm outside and we definitely took advantage. Natalie, got a little too carried away, though, and after only a few short hours, she was absolutely burnt to a crisp (and, holy crap, she looked miserable). I, on the other hand, was very protective of my pasty white ginger skin and constantly wore a nice, thick layer, of sunscreen. 
That morning--the start of Natalie's sunburn from hell.
Not sure what this creature is...
Natalie's foot one week after the burn from hell. Sickening.
After our stay at Myrtle Beach, we hit the road again—this time for ten hours—and ended up in Nashville, Tennessee. Neither one of us had ever been there before and we absolutely FELL IN LOVE! My Aunt Connie lives there and was nice enough to let us stay with her. My two cousins (Aunt Connie’s children), Drew and Carson, and Carson’s boyfriend (who is also my brother’s old friend), Quin, also came to Nashville for the weekend. The first night there, our eyes were a wee bit thirstier than our mouths were, so even though we purchased almost four thousand different beverages, I only managed to drink two or three beers.
We had high hopes...
The next morning we drove to Franklin, TN (and drove past BRAD PAISLEY’S church!) where we spent an hour or so window shopping. Of course, the boys didn’t enjoy that at all, so soon we were on our way back to Nashville where we spent the day/night listening to so many freaking amazing singers. Seriously, I do not understand how all of the people in Nashville aren’t already famous and on the radio--everyone was so good! 
Strolling the streets of Nashville. Me, Natalie (and one of her many cute photo faces), and Drew. Seriously, Natalie's face cracks me up every time!
Nat looking beautiful again.
Carson, me, Drew, and Aunt Connie
Me and Drew
We went to a well-known bar called The Wildhorse Saloon. I, being a lover of all line dances, was hoping I would learn some new dances to take back to Iowa. But, no; I was thoroughly disappointed with the line dancing there—how is it that Nashville, Music City, the country music capital of the world, had almost no line dancing?! I just didn’t (and still don’t) get it. So, instead of me bringing the dancing back to Iowa, I brought the dancing to Nashville. I am not even kidding. The third picture down below….that’s me teaching the Wildhorse Saloon how to line dance. 
Me and Natalie outside of The Wildhorse Saloon.
Aunt Connie, Drew, Natalie, and me.
There I am (in the middle) teaching that giant bar how to dance!
Anyway, the next night (Saturday) we went out again, and on Sunday, Natalie and I headed (another ten hours) back to boring old Iowa. Luckily, I had Monday off from work too, so I had ample time to apply for multiple jobs in...**drum roll please**…Nashville, Tennessee! 
Carson and Quin--the love birds.
Sibling love.
The last picture from our trip! This was taken as we listened to a band who's fiddler is also Brad Paisley's fiddler (and has been for the last 13 years). Yeah, pretty stinking cool, huh?!

P.S. Dear Taylor Swift, if you happen to be reading this and need an accountant, please let me know.


Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment