Monday, June 3, 2013

Slow and steady does not win the race...


As I mentioned here, I definitely found time to relax this weekend. However, relaxing is not all I did. I also struggled my way through a very long and terrible race—and I mean TERRIBLE. On Saturday morning, I woke up at 4 AM and drove to Des Moines where I ran a 12.4 mile race called “Dam to Dam.” I ran this race after zero training. And I mean ZERO (I’ve ran twice in the last two months for a total of 8 miles).

And let me tell you, this race did not go well for me. Can you say “eleven minute miles?” HAHA!! I laugh every time I think about that. I am the runner you see after you’ve finished the race, taken off your shoes, eaten a bagel or two, maybe finished a beer, gotten your things together and are heading back home when you look back at the course and say, “Oh my god! I can’t believe there are people still running!” Yup, I was that runner. 

I was also that runner who was “running” up the hills slower than the people walking the hills. 

And the runner who instantly bent over to gasp for air after crossing the finish line (after running eleven minute miles).

My friend, Sam, however, was not that runner. She “trained” just as little as I did (even less) and still managed to run eight minute miles. 

Good freaking god. 

Anyway, HAPPY MONDAY!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment