Thursday, May 16, 2013

Eighty

Today my grandma turned 80 years old. Eighty! This just fascinates me. I have barely scraped the surface of life, and already feel like I have done so much and am blessed beyond words.  By the time I reach 80, the blessings will be too high to count; I will have experienced 55 more Christmases, I will have walked down the aisle, I will *hopefully* have multiple children, grandchildren, and even a great grandchild or two (that’s weird to think about). I will have retired, I will have seen more of this world, I will have built my own home, and so much more.

How bittersweet this thought is, though, as by this time I will have lost many loved ones who I won’t be able to share these experiences with (I can’t even think about this without getting teary-eyed). I will also have gray hair, not the greatest swimsuit body, and aches and pains all over the place. 

My grandma, however, is not your typical 80-year-old woman. Let me just brag for a minute…

She has the most flawless skin there is. And I mean FLAWLESS. Barely even a wrinkle on that face of hers. 

She really is beautiful. She’s like one of those freaks of nature that gets even prettier with age.

She is healthy! She takes regular walks and has had no health issues whatsoever (at least nothing serious that she would inform her children or grandchildren of).

She is incredibly kind. One of the most precious things about her…whenever she is proud of me, excited for me, or is congratulating me in some way, as she speaks to me, she will hold my hand and gently squeeze it. That simple little gesture says so much. 

She is so humble. 

She is such a lady—always has a comb with her, enjoys her pedicures, takes forever to get ready, loves to shop, etc.

She is an amazing baker. Best cinnamon rolls, best cake, best dinner rolls, and the absolute best stuffing (aka dressing). You name it, my grandma can bake it!
December 2012 (she is 79 and a half in this picture)
Cheers to my Grandma and cheers to 80. Cheers to embracing every experience, each day, and all the people we are surrounded by.  

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment