Wednesday, May 15, 2013

As much as it kills me to admit this, I have to...



I am no longer running the Missoula Marathon

About three or four weeks into my training, I was struck with some sort of injury. I’m not sure what it was exactly (or even how it happened), but the pain was behind my right knee and shot all the way down my calf. It lasted for about five weeks, and during that time I only ran twice. Talk about a training buzz kill.

After lots of rest and a half dozen ice massages, I think it is officially healed now (although I haven’t ran for two weeks) as it no longer hurts when I walk (it used to) and it no longer hurts when I apply pressure to it (it used to).

My friend, Sam, who was also training for this race was also injured (and still is!).  She got hurt about the same time I did and thinks she has a stress fracture. 

So here’s the deal…nine weeks away from race day, I feel completely out of shape and really don’t want to pack 18 weeks of training into such a dinky little time-frame. Also, let’s not forget that my sister’s wedding is a week away and this weather has been so dang weird lately—no one wants to be stuck training during all of that!

So, it’s official. I’m a quitter. Sam and I both decided this on Monday night and I am working to get each of our $90 registration fees applied to next year’s race when we will *hopefully* be more prepared!

I feel like such a loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment