Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Problem and Solution

About two years ago, I came up with an organizational solution. Was Pinterest created two years ago? I don't know. Regardless, I am proud to say that I came up with this little solution all on my own! How? ...I suppose from many, many years of built up frustration.

The Frustrations:

Part One:
Growing up my house seemed to be the place to be for all of my and my brother's friends. I absolutely LOVED that! There was most definitely never a dull moment in our household. For example...
Poker night.
However, many things (sweatshirts, soccer balls, etc.) from our house tended to be infinitely borrowed. This was never intended by the borrowers--people forget. Nevertheless, this was frustrating.

Part Two:
I swear there is no good way to elegantly display DVD cases. This is frustrating. But, fear no more, my solution has solved both frustrations!

The How To:

Step One: Find yourself a good ol sharpie. You really only need one, but who could pass up a find like this? A pack of twelve beautiful sharpies for only $4.99. 
Step Two: Find yourself a giant CD case (mine holds about 250). Put all of your DVDs in this case. I did this in no particular order as I didn't want to guess how many empty spaces I should leave for future DVDs that start with each letter of the alphabet.

Step Three: Once each DVD is in its place, write the name of each DVD on its sleeve. This way, when a DVD is missing, you will know which one it is and where it belongs. And, if someone borrows a DVD, you can simply put a note card or post-it in its place with the name of the borrower on it. So easy, right?

You could stop here, but I decided to add page numbers and create a listing (sorted by both genre and rating) of all my DVDs via the use of an excel pivot table (this is definitely not necessary and I will not even attempt to explain what a pivot table is).

Anyway, problem solved; I no longer have to worry about losing these suckers or figuring out where to store all of them.
The End.


1 comment: